Thursday, June 10, 2010

Muffins the UNBOUGHT way


ok my peeps here is a great muffin recipe without all the hype. I was a muffin disliker myself until I disovered that muffins don't have to be dry and tasteless. Give this recipe a go it works, I have made them hundreds of times. You can add any sort of fruit or spices for sweet muffins or leave out the sugar and add some savoury elements eg bacon , onion, ham sundried tomatoes, any sort of cheese & herbs.
Muffins by Lavendah
2 1/2 cups SR flour
100g butter(my preference always)or margarine
1 cup castor sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 grated apple(the apple is to keep the muffin moist when you add other fruit you dont really get the apple as a flavour so use 2 if you want more apple flavour.
Once you have your ingredients together then grease your muffin tins or use muffin wraps or large patty pan cases, make sure you do give the tin a light spray even if you are using patty pans(which I highly recommend anyway) as it stops the muffin tops from sticking to the tin. Turn your oven on to preheat to 160
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix through, mix the egg and milk together and then mix into the dry ingredients with the apple. Don't overmix it but dont be scared to mix the ingredients in. Add whatever fruit you wish for your flavourings.
Fill whatever size muffin tins you are using 3/4 full if you want an overflowing effect(how a muffin should look) or half fill if you want them to be the same size as the actual tin. Bake in a moderate to oven for 20-25 minutes the muffins should bounce back when you touch them, if it leaves an indent when you push them, put them back in for another 5-10 minutes keeping an eye on them but not opening the oven to let the heat escape.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 min in the tins then carefully run a butter knife around the edge of the muffin to losen it from the tin and put them on a cooling rack. Eat when hungry!!
An easy dessert is to make a berry sauce or a caramel sauce and serve the muffins warm with cream and ice cream.
Some of my sweet favourites are; raspberry and white chocolate, blackberry honey and apple, banana date and walnut, blueberry, apple & cinnamon.
savoury faves are fetta and herb, ham cheese and tomato, pumpkin & fetta...(generally anything and fetta I will like)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fool proof recipe. I just have to go out and buy a grater. After I've done that, the kids will be baking the heck out of this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. going to give this a go - thank you lavendah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there Lavendah - I can't wait to try these muffins. Will let you know how I go. My friend ended up making a sinful Nigella Lawson Chocolate Cherry Trifle for Caramel Boy but I will get to the Panna Cotta. MPP's birthday in September so I'll try it out in my own kitchen. Thank you for all these recipes. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to try these on the school holidays with the kids. Adie :)

    ReplyDelete