Thursday, May 27, 2010

Raspberry Jam

I dont know how anyone can buy commercially made jam!! I know we are spoilt with raspberries growing everywhere down here but its so easy to make a pot of jam that anyone can do it. Once you have made your own you will never want to eat that bought stuff again. Do yourself a favour before you start making jam...buy yourself a candy thermometer. They arent very expensive about $12 from a kitchenware shop, and it takes the guesswork out of jam making. My nana always had jars of homemade jam in her cupboard her plum jam was one of my faves but there is just something about homemade raspberry jam that is comforting and DELICOUS!!

Raspberry Jam
1.5 kg fresh raspberries 1/3 cup lemon juice 1.5 kg sugar warmed

Put the sugar in a clean pan and into an oven on low heat. Put berries and lemon juice on a low heat til berries start to break down and cook. Add warmed sugar and stir until sugar dissolved. Bring to a low boil for 5 min then simmer for 30-40 minutes. a scum will rise to the top of the berry mixture so scoop this off and throw away.Keep your eye on the jam at all times and now use your candy thermometer and the setting point for the jam is between 104 - 106 degress c
Bottle while hot and let cool naturally(overnight is best)

1 comment:

  1. You just reminded me of my Gran. She used to make Crabapple jelly/jam. My fave. I miss it, and I miss her too. I keep promising myself to make some one day. One day...

    ReplyDelete